Mary Roach writes books about the science of being human.
The titles are one word and each offers a hint of humor.
- Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
- Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife
- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
- Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
Early in her career, she was a copywriter and then worked in PR for the San Francisco Zoo. As a freelance writer, Mary found the stories about science were always interesting. For the books she writes, she looks for a combination of science, history and humor. She also says she had no idea she’d have a career writing about science.
What can we learn?
- The titles are crystal clear and memorable.
- Each topic of each book is universally human and a little surprising.
- The utility the reader gets is entertainment for the curious mind.
- The books she writes are uniquely her. Do same in your books.
Bonus: Mary visits with AV Club and talks about one syllable book titles.