I made a New Year’s resolution to read more books and share what it is I have been reading.
- The Crossroads of Should and Must by Elle Luna – This book proves there are still a thousand ways to write a beautiful book that can help people find their purpose and Elle picks the right two words to pivot around. 8/10
- Startup Season 1 (Alex Bloomberg) – This is the podcast about a guy who wants to start a podcast company. It is not just any guy – Alex worked on This American Life and Planet Money. I think of it as reality radio, a mix between the reported articles of Inc. Magazine and memoir stories of Moth. The shows on mistakes (#9) and burnout (#12) are incredible and should be required listened for everyone who works in business today and start a conversation about how to deal with both better. 10/10
- Batman: The Dark Knight Saga by Frank Miller, Klaus Janson, and Lynn Varley – This hardcover edition includes both the famous Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again. These stories by Miller set the stage for Christopher Nolan’s films and in reading them now, I find something much more raw than what made it on the screen. Miller extracts the myths of these heroes and shows us how broken they all are. 10/10
- Legends of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke – The adventure continues and the story of Zita grows, but there are impersonators in their midsts. A wonderful second volume to the series. 9/10
- Black Widow: The Finely Woven Thread by Nathan Edmonson and Phil Noto – Natasha is atoning for her past – doing solo gigs to give money back to the ones she hurt. This reboot is just OK for me. I can’t quite figure out what is at stake for her, so Black Widow ends up flat. 6/10