With my first trip to the Frankfurt Book Fair, I wanted to create something I could give clients, prospects, and friends. Given my desire to grow my scouting business, I felt it was important that the object tie back strongly to my expertise in business books.
Compile my writings on business books over the last eight years and publish a short-run book called Everything I Know About Business Books using print-on-demand technology.
- Adobe InDesign – best tool for laying out books
- Lulu – print on demand service
- Compile my writings from a variety of sources including blogs, websites, magazines, and books.
- Place and format content in InDesign.
- Organize content making editorial decisions about organization and order of material.
- Create pdf file for upload to Lulu.
- Create cover art given specs provided by Lulu.
- Order books
Final Book Specifications
- Trim Size: 6" x 9"
- Color: Black and White
- Page Count: 155 pages
- Fonts Used: Neutraface Text and Adobe Garamond Pro
- Number of Chapters: Six (Reading, Recommendations, 100 Best, Critiques, Images, and Lists)
- 9/4 – Conceive Idea
- 9/6 – 9/14 – Compile material and layout book
- 9/15 – Submit to Lulu. Purchased expedited one-day printing (this is limited to 25 copies or less).
- 9/20 – Received completed books in mail.
Expediated Printing $35.00
Total Cost $245.24 (Unit Cost - $9.80)
It was a great project to test the speed and quality of print on demand, With a little more time, I would have gotten a sample and then produced the full production run and avoided a few errors.
If you are interested in seeing how the book turned out, a sample posted on my Scribd account.