Here are three ways I can help in figuring out what you should read next:
- Look through the selections below from The 100 Best Business Books of All Time.
- Check out My Favorite 50 Books of the Last Five Years post.
- Read my monthly What I Read posts
The Selections from The 100 Best Business Books of All Time
YOU – Improving your life, your person and your strengths.
- Flow by Mihaly Csikzentmihalyi
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- How to Be a Star at Work by Robert E. Kelley
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive by Harvey B. Mackay
- The Power of Intuition by Gary Klein
- What Should I Do with My Life? by Po Bronson
- The First 90 Days by Michael Watkins
- Oh, the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss/Theodore Geisel
- Chasing Daylight by Eugene O’Kelly
LEADERSHIP – Inspiration. Challenge. Courage. Change.
- On Becoming a Leader by Warren Bennis
- Up The Organization by Robert Townsend
- The Leadership Moment by Michael Useem
- The Leadership Challenge by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner
- Leadership Is an Art by Max De Pree
- The Radical Leap by Steve Farber
- Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will by Tichy and Sherman
- Leading Change by John P. Kotter
- Questions of Character by Joseph L. Badaracco, Jr.
- The Story Factor by Annette Simmons
- Never Give In! Speeches by Winston Churchill
STRATEGY – Eight organizational blueprints from which to draft your own.
- In Search of Excellence by Thomas J. Peters and Robert H. Waterman, Jr.
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- The Innovator’s Dilemma by Clayton M. Christensen
- Only the Paranoid Survive by Andrew S. Grove
- Who Says Elephants Can’t Dance? by Louis V. Gerstner, Jr.
- Discovering the Soul of Service by Leonard Berry
- Execution by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan
- Competing for the Future by Gary Hamel and C. K. Prahalad
- Beyond The Core by Chris Zook
SALES AND MARKETING – Approaches and pitfalls in the ongoing process of creating customers.
- Influence by Robert B. Cialdini, PhD
- Positioning by Al Ries and Jack Trout
- A New Brand World by Scott Bedbury with Stephen Fenichell
- Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
- Zag by Marty Neumeier
- Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. Moore
- Secrets of Closing the Sale by Zig Ziglar
- How to Become a Rainmaker by Jeffrey J. Fox
- Why We Buy by Paco Underhill
- The Experience Economy by B. Joseph Pine II and James H. Gilmore
- Purple Cow by Seth Godin
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffery Gitomer
RULES AND SCOREKEEPING – The all-important numbers behind the game.
- Naked Economics by Charles Wheelman
- Financial Intelligence by Karen Berman and Joe Knight
- The Balanced Scorecard by Robert S. Kaplan and David P. Norton
- What The CEO Wants You To Know by Ram Charan
MANAGEMENT – Guiding and directing the people around you.
- The Essential Drucker by Peter Drucker
- Out of the Crisis by W. Edwards Deming
- Toyota Production System by Taiichi Ohno
- Reengineering the Corporation by Michael Hammer and James Champy
- The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox
- The Great Game of Business by Jack Stack with Bo Burlingham
- First, Break all the Rules by Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman
- Now, Discover Your Strengths by Buckingham and Clifton
- The Knowing-Doing Gap by Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert I. Sutton
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
- Six Thinking Hats by Edward De Bono
- The Team Handbook by Peter Scholtes, Brian Joiner, and Barbara Streibel
BIOGRAPHIES – Seven lives. Unlimited lessons.
- Titan:The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow
- My Years with General Motors by Alfred P. Sloan, Jr.
- The HP Way by David Packard
- Personal History by Katharine Graham
- Moments of Truth by Jan Carlzon
- Sam Walton: Made in America by Sam Walton with John Huey
- Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson
- A Business and Its Beliefs by Thomas J. Watson Jr.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP – Seven guides to the passion and practicality necessary for any new venture.
- The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber
- The Republic of Tea ** by Mel Ziegler, Patricia Ziegler, and Bill Rosenzweig
- The Partnership Charter by David Gage
- Growing a Business by Paul Hawken
- Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson
- The Monk and the Riddle Randy Komisar with Kent Lineback
- Lucky or Smart? by Bo Peabody
NARRATIVES – Six industry tales of both fortune and failure.
- McDonald’s: Behind the Arches by John F. Love
- American Steel by Richard Preston
- The Force by David Dorsey
- The Smartest Guys in the Room by Bethany McLean and Peter Elkind
- When Genius Failed by Roger Lowenstein
- Moneyball by Michael Lewis
- The Lexus and The Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman
INNOVATION AND CREATIVITY – Insight into the process of developing new ideas.
- Orbiting the Giant Hairball by Gordon MacKenzie
- The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley with Jonathan Littman
- Jump Start Your Business Brain by Doug Hall
- A Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger Von Oech
- The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp
- The Art of Possibility by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander
- Thinkertoys by Michael Michalko
BIG IDEAS – The future of business books lies here.
- The Age of Unreason by Charles Handy
- Out of Control by Kevin Kelly
- The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
- Driven by Paul R. Lawrence and Nitin Nohria
- To Engineer is Human by Henry Petroski
- The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki
- Made to Stick by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- More Than You Know by Michael Mauboussin