For business experts, books establish credibility and broaden reach better than any other approach. If you have considered writing a book, I can help you make that a reality.
With all the flexibility that book publishing now affords, I work with authors in the way that is most appropriate for their project.
- I can act as a literary agent and work to find the right commercial publisher for the project. I work in partnership with Fletcher and Company in these cases.
- I can assemble a publishing team made up of editors, designers, printers and digital media experts to take the a from idea to marketplace.
- I can act as a consultant and work with a business expert on the development of a book proposal.
- I can act as structural editor to give feedback on a manuscript that is in process or complete.
The focus of my practice is helping authors make books.
In the last ten years, I have acted in almost every role in book publishing.
- I worked as a bookseller and ran the leading business book retailer 800-CEO-READ.
- As an author, I co-wrote The 100 Best Business Books of All Time, the most popular title about what business books to read, which has sold 35,000 copies and been translated into 10 languages.
- I worked as the editor and publisher of ChangeThis.com, an amazing website that just published its 100th issue of world-shaking essays.
- I worked with publishers around the world as a literary scout helping them identify business books to publish for their local markets.
- As a publishing innovator, I wrote a book for O’Reilly called Every Book Is A Startup. The project was released in a serial fashion with four releases over the course of a year. The price started low ($1.99) and gradually increased as new material was added. As an added incentive, readers at any point where entitled to all additional updates for free.
- My newest role is working as a literary agent on books like Insanely Simple by Ken Segall.
If you would like to create a book that clearly communicates your message, I can help.
The best first step is for us to talk on the phone. We’ll take about 30 minutes and talk about what intellectual impact you want to have in your field and what commercial impact you want to have on your business.
Here is some feedback from clients who have worked with me:
“Todd has the rare talent to make a good idea great. Our work together resulted in a book that I am proud of and the ability to write in a way that I have always wanted. He is passionate, a pleasure to work with and I can’t recommend him enough.”-Chris Finlay
“If you are writing a business book, or thinking about writing a business book, do yourself a favor and talk with Todd Sattersten. I wish I had when I wrote and published my book, “Small Changes That Help Small Companies Make Big Increases in Sales” – I’d have avoided several mistakes that really limited sales of the book. I’m now working with Todd on a major revision of the book, repositioning it for the market I was originally trying to reach. That effort has included finding a new title and working on ways to better engage the reader by changing the way the material is presented. Todd’s wealth of experience in business book writing and publishing have been invaluable – and on top of that, he’s great to work with.” -Andy Blackstone
“Todd provided invaluable coaching services, helping me to target, sharpen, and simplify my proposal for a book on critical decision-making into a much more compelling product. He offers a rare combination of editorial skills, both analytic and intuitive; strong insights into proposal marketing in today’s confusing publishing world; and excellent relationships with senior editors with diverse publishers. He is good-humored and highly collaborative. I recommend his coaching services without reservation.” -Richard Alder
“Todd Sattersten is an expert on the book publishing and marketing, and I’d recommend him to anyone who is looking for help bringing a book to market. His unique expertise is rare and valuable, having been in the publishing industry from so many angles, as an author, retailer, marketer and publisher. I’ve benefited greatly from his advice and management for the last year as I’ve been preparing for the launches of my upcoming title “The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win” – Gene Kim
“I am delighted to recommend Todd Sattersten, a book coach par excellence. I worked with him on multiple phases of my book, Leadership and the Art of Struggle. Todd worked with me on an individual basis, helping me craft and refine my book proposal. Todd also worked with me during the revision stage of my manuscript. He offered numerous suggestions to shape critical concepts in the book, making them more understandable and accessible. Todd understands the nuances of book development. He possesses incredible judgement and his advice is consistently insightful and practical. I highly recommend Todd to any author who wants to tap the full potential of their ideas.” -Steven Synder
If you are ready to take the next step towards creating a book to help you yourself and your career, let’s talk.